Monday, May 11, 2009

Dishwasher soap & $36 electric bill

I couple of people have asked me about comments on this blog. I am trying to figure out how to get this on here. I have comments enabled, but it is not showing up at the bottom. I am sure some minor thing is off. Hopefully I will have this fixed soon.

I have tried out the homemade dishwasher soap. It works just as well as the laundry soap and will be a money saver. This will be a definite switch for me. It is easy to make and easy to use. If you are already making your own laundry soap, you should have all these ingredients on hand. Here is the recipe:

Mix equal parts Borax & baking powder (not washing soda, as used in the laundry soap). I started with 1/2 cup of each. If you like it, you can mix larger batches. Add enough vinegar to create a mixture slightly thinner than toothpaste. Store in a container with a lid. If the lid is not tight fitting, it will dry out. You can add more vinegar if this happens. Use 2 tablespoons in the dispenser of your dishwasher.

On a different note, I opened my electric bill for April and it was $36. I nearly fell over. What great returns for my efforts! Now, to explain how I did that, I will recap a few things. I think my big saver was hanging clothes out to dry. With all the rain, I haven't done that much the last two weeks, so I expect May's bill to be higher. We also didn't use the heat or air conditioner, with the exception of two days. We just didn't need it. We have opened windows a lot. I continue on my mission to keep things unplugged and lights turned off. I only turn the computer on twice a day, as opposed to leaving it running all day.

I have some new information coming soon about saving on your grocery bill. We have made some good cuts here and I will pass on what is working for us.

I am getting to a point where when I pay the bills, I have more left over. It brings me such great satisfaction to see a pay off for my efforts. I encourage you to hang in there and continue to make changes, little by little. It takes time and a cumulation of efforts to see a difference, but you will get there!

1 comment:

  1. It has become a game for me. Let's see how much money I can save!!! Thanks for the great info! And congrats on the electric bill!

    ReplyDelete