Friday, May 15, 2009

Dishwasher soap a bust?

On a previous post, I gave you the recipe for the dishwasher soap, giving it my seal of approval. I am going to rescind that statement. The first couple of loads I washed came out clean, but did seem to have a cloudy appearance to them. I thought maybe it was just me. However, the DH has commented on it as well. I have tried it a few more times and decided that I won't be using this in the future.

I have done some research on the dishwasher soap topic and there are opinions all over the map. There are people who swear by powder, some profess loyalty to liquids and there are the tablet users (your most expensive option per load). There is also a lot of brand loyalty. There are outside factors that influence the ability of your detergent to do it's job. Things such as the quality of your dishwasher, the type of water you have (soft/hard) and how much you pre-rinse your dishes before putting them in. Of course, this blog isn't about recommending a brand, it is about cutting cost, so here is your tip: Stick with what is working for you, but try to cut back on how much you use.

I use a name brand liquid that comes in a 45oz bottle. Two bottles will last me year and with my crew, we average 5 loads a week. I never fill the cup all the way. I typically use about a 2 tablespoons per load. I don't measure, I just estimate. Based on how much I am using a year, this is not a big expenditure for us as it is. For now, I am going to stick with what is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment